Witch Trials 1692 Sites Tour
Site of the Courthouse in 1692
In 1692, the Salem courthouse stood in the middle of Washington Street just south of its present-day intersection with Lynde Street. It was here that all nineteen persons executed as witches were tried and condemned by the Court of Oyer and Terminer. The original edifice was torn down in 1760. The engraving on the frontispiece shows how this portion of Washington Street looked in the 1830s when a courthouse still stood in the middle of the street.
|© Copyright 1996 - 2005 Salem Witch Museum.|