Browser our Store to learn more before visiting local Salem Witchcraft Hysteria sites.
Located on Main Street (Route 1A) in Wenham, a short distance north of Wenham Lake.
Here are buried several men of Wenham who played parts in the witchcraft hysteria.
(Plate 6; 106 Main Street in Wenham, a short distance north
of the Wenham Burying Ground).
This house was built around 1670 and was the home of John Solart,
Sr. who kept an inn here. His daughter Sarah, who was born 14 July 1653,
later married William Good and moved away to Salem Village. Sarah Good
was one of the first three persons accused of witchcraft in 1692 and
was hanged on July 19. The house is privately owned.
(Plate 31; 132 Main Street,
opposite its intersection with Monument Street).
Reverend Joseph Gerrish lived here in 1692. It was here that Mary
Herrick met with John Hale, and Joseph Gerrish and told them that the
specter of Hale's wife afflicted her. The house dates from the time
period 1662-73 and is the office of the Wenham Historical Association.
It is open to the public.
Our tour of the 1692 Salem Witchcraft Hysteria
sites is quoted from the book, A Guide to the Salem Witchcraft
Hysteria of 1692, by David C. Brown (the text and images may not be
reproduced without the author's permission). The book is currently
out of print.
may click on the town and city names on the map below or on the left to view pictures
(where available) and read about the sites in these locations.