21.Jonathan Corwin House
Located at the northwest corner of the intersection of Essex and North Streets.
This house was probably built in the early 1670s and not in 1642. Jonathan Corwin, a Salem merchant, purchased the house from Nathaniel Davenport of Boston in 1675 and was living here in 1692. Corwin presided over many of the witchcraft examinations and later served on the Court of Oyer and Terminer. Although the house is known locally as the "Witch House," no person accused of witchcraft either lived or was imprisoned here. The house is open to the public. There is an admission charge.