19. Path to Gallows Hill
In 1692, the Salem jail stood on St. Peter Street (then called "Prison Lane") near its intersection with Federal Street. The traditional route taken by the condemned from the jail to Gallows Hill was through St. Peter Street, down Essex Street, and then through Boston Street to the point of its present intersection with Aborn Street, and from there to the summit of Gallows Hill. This roundabout path permitted the least precipitous approach to the brow of the hill.