14. Site of the Salem Courthouse in 1692
Marker on the wall of the Masonic Temple on Washington Street, about 100 feet south of the intersection of Washington and Lynde Streets.
In 1692, the Salem courthouse stood in the middle of Washington Street just south of its present-day intersection with Lynde Street. It was here that all nineteen persons executed as witches were tried and condemned by the Court of Oyer and Terminer. The original edifice was torn down in 1760. The engraving on the frontispiece shows how this portion of Washington Street looked in the 1830s when a courthouse still stood in the middle of the street.